As a PR professional, getting press for your clients should be at the top of your priority list. However, the question many PR pros are asking is how to shift their communication efforts to align with the current state of the media during this crisis.
Before COVID-19 began, the answer on how to write a pitch that reporters will notice could be done in five steps:
- With PR being highly personal, developing relationships with journalists is key.
- Make a great “first impression” by crafting an intriguing subject line.
- Show the journalist you care by adding personal touches throughout your pitch.
- Delete any “fluff” from your pitch to be concise.
- Create a follow-up schedule to move your e-mail to the top of their inbox in case they missed your initial pitch.
Now PR professionals are faced with the task of how to make sure their efforts are not coming off as insensitive. Below are a few tips that you can implement in your communications plans during the existing time of crisis.
- Acknowledge we are living through a crisis. By not including some sort of acknowledgement, you could seem oblivious to the current state of the world. Start your email off by addressing the reality of today with a short message and then dive into to the meat of your pitch.
- Be Clear and Concise. Like mentioned above, being clear and concise is more important now more than ever. Journalists are being overwhelmed with pitches and will appreciate a pitch with a comprehensive overview of critical information and no “fluff”.
- Be Light Hearted. Be a breath of fresh air in a media climate that is crowded with grim news regarding the pandemic and put a smile on peoples faces. Journalists are looking for those feel good stories that will provide a moment of relief during these trying times.
While it is important to always follow the five steps of writing a pitch that reporters will notice, implementing these tips into your pitch will help adapt your messaging and navigate your brand through these times.
MCA Group is an integrated communications agency specializing in lifestyle brands. We are strategic thinkers, great listeners, creative storytellers and relationship builders. For more information on how MCA Group can help with media relations and ensure your brand and message is well represented in the media, please reach out or visit our website at www.mcaprgroup.com.